Sunday, March 4, 2007

upshot of int'l education

I was involved with L.A.T.T.I.C.E. (Linking All-Types of Teachers in Int'
Cross-cultural Education, www.latticeworld.org) for a couple of years.
It brings together local teachers with foreign students each month during
the school year for semi-structured activities and social contact.

Last week I attended a conference session with current lattice members.
Hearing about lattice "from a distance" caused me to think about the core
impact of the experiences, and what some of the outcomes for teachers and from
there, for their students, might be:

1. to personalize places outside the USA (for US people); outside the home
country (for int'l lattice participants)

2. to stimulate intercultural communication competencies (iccc) such as
curiosity, self-reflection (critical thinking), respect for ways different to
one's own, insight into the connections of one's language and thinking/social
habits.

With so many different kinds of experience, it is nice to have thiis simplified
"shortlist" to help consolidate path toward some defined outcomes, like
these. --GPW

No comments: