Applying quotes from diverse sources to the business of outreach to the public and its evaluation:
1. [core function of outreach education producer/evaluator/presenter]
Do I feel like a fish out of water? Only occasionally. For the most part I'm using skills similar to those I used in traditional book publishing: developing ideas with authors, meticulously editing their work, trying to make it into a handsome package, and being sure the target audience knows it's there. But what's different is the energy level and frustration attached to the publishing enterprise.
I needn't remind those in traditional publishing about the agonizingly slow process of contracting for a book, developing the manuscript, seeing it through the editorial and design and manufacturing processes, getting it into the stores with adequate publicity — and finally trying to move it off the bookstore shelves. In my publishing house, once the manuscript was in hand, we usually accomplished this in five to six months — and we pushed. Many publishers of similar serious materials require a year or more.
By contrast, Now and Then can get a long piece ready for publication within two weeks, including editing, cover design, production, and publicity materials. Using two to three people. Compared with book publication, it's a piece of cake — like the difference between a meal in the Gulag and tea at the Mayfair.
2. [similar statement could be said of most campus-based intellectual output] ...little of the research has been made available outside of obscure academic texts until now. In this book, I attempt to translate for the general readers... the exciting new developments
Bradshaw, John. Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet. [sample eBook content at kindlestore, amazon.com]
No comments:
Post a Comment